Yesterday, I finally got the proof for my forthcoming book. Because the Espresso Book Machine (EBM) at the University Book Store has been down for a few weeks (!), the proof was printed in Portland, on the EBM at Powell’s. Consequently, it took two weeks instead of a couple of days (I’m sure the sudden surge in business Powell’s got after Stephen Colbert declared war on Amazon a couple of Wednesdays back didn’t help—at least, as far as shipping the finished proof back to Seattle was concerned).
I was happy to see that everything looked really good. Apart from making the expected adjustments to the images to ensure that sufficient detail could still be seen in darker areas, I had to make only a few minor revisions to the text (ones I’d already spotted while preparing the e-book version), plus a couple of minor formatting adjustments (for clarity). Even the mistaken use of white paper for the book’s interior (I’d requested the cream stock) worked well; in fact, I’ve asked that the white stock be used for the finished product.
I don’t know yet what the turnaround will be for the initial printing, but I’m hoping for early July. In the meantime, since I haven’t marked up the proof, I’ve got something I can show people…
(14 June 2014)