Today’s writing prompt: If you had to be trapped inside a movie for 5 days, which movie would you pick?
No contest: The Big Chill.
Never mind the funeral part—just look at that house!
• major porch space
• a furnished attic
• a gorgeous living room (with fireplace, if I remember correctly)
• a huge kitchen—can your kitchen fit William Hurt, Jeff Goldblum, Kevin Kline, Meg Tilly, JoBeth Williams, Mary Kay Place, Tom Berenger, and Glenn Close? (Mine can barely fit me and my two cats.)
• proximity to calm bodies of water
• amazing sunsets
But, wait! That’s not all! It’s 1983, so:
• Coca-Cola® is still The Real Thing®
• prices on everything are super low compared to what they are now
• Kevin Kline hasn’t married Phoebe Cates yet, so I can pretend I actually have a chance
• the GOP haven’t gone all batshit crazy yet (although Ronald Reagan is president), so Democrats and Republicans are still able to work together to, you know, actually get some things done
• CDs are brand new, and valued for their greater dynamic range, so they haven’t been turned into over-compressed pieces of sonic crap yet (the downside is that they’re new enough that the house has no CD player yet, let alone any CDs to play)
• an LP doesn’t cost 25 bucks
• MTV still plays music
• hip-hop hasn’t ruined pop music yet (the downside is that there’s no Public Enemy yet)
• George Lucas hasn’t ruined Star Wars yet
• there’s no global warming yet
• there’s no “War on Terror” yet
• there’s no Celine Dion yet
And it’s all pre-Internet and smartphones, so I could actually enjoy the place without distraction.
(11 November 2013)