Starting on The Lilac Years

I did not realize until just a moment ago that it is already past midnight. That’s because I have started on The Lilac Years at last, doing the copy-and-paste from my Word documents into InDesign, and working on the basic layout.

Below are screenshots of a few of the spreads. So far, the main drawback to putting the titles at the bottom of the page is that longer titles are a bit troublesome. What I have been doing is to keep the titles their full size (Clarendon 13/15) as long as they fit within two lines; once they go to three, I fit what makes sense on the first line, then make the rest of the title smaller (8/11) so that it fits on the second line.

Of course, if I scrap this particular iteration, I won’t have to worry about any of that—but I’m going to place all the poems in InDesign first. Then the fun can begin.

Stay tuned!

(2 November 2017)

One thought on “Starting on The Lilac Years

Comments are closed.